John Wilkes Booth

John Wilkes Booth
John Wilkes Booth ( A man with a mission) is known as killing one
of our U . S presidents, Abraham Lincoln. How did he do it when did he do
it and where did he do it at? Lincoln helping abolish slavery state by
state to try to stop the civil war. John Wilkes Booth as he was known as a
professional actor before the assassination of Abraham Lincoln. Today his
life is often forgotten and is also overlooked in schools around the world
John Wilkes Booth was born on May 10, 1838 in a log house. The
family home was on property near Bel Air, Maryland, twenty- five miles
south of the Mason- Dixon line. Elder brother Edwin supervised his younger
brother’s upbringing. Later Edwin and older sister Asia would write about
their eccentric brother’s behavior.

When finishing a year of school at a picnic he told his sister Asia
he went to a fortune teller a couple weeks before and the fortune teller
told him ” Your life will be a short one and a victorious one at that. You
will accomplish most of everything you set your mind too. ( this might
sound a little bit weird, but she’s a ” fortune teller”) This might have
set a tick in his psychotic mind that maybe he thought that he could do
anything he wanted to do. ( Dort, Aaron)
Francis Wilson, who wrote a biography of Booth in 1929, stated that
Booth opened his stage career in 1855 at the Charles Street Theatre in
Baltimore. He began performing on a regular basis two years later. Once
Booth started upon his acting career, he wanted the comparisons between
himself and his late father to Cease. It was a common practice of theater
companies to retain actors who would complement a touring, star figure.

We Will Write a Custom Essay Specifically
For You For Only $13.90/page!

order now

Booth eventually became one the these star figures, with stock companies
for one and two week engagements. Often a different play was performed each
night, requiring Booth to stay up studying his new role until dawn, when he
would rise and make his way to the theater for rehearsal.

In October of 1864 Booth traveled to Montreal. He conducted a number of
meetings with men associated with the Confederacy. The record is unclear as
to what exactly transpired. By mid- November Booth checked into the
National Hotel in Washington. Booth carried with him a letter of
introduction from the Confederates, with whom he had conferred, addressed
to Dr. William Queen of Charles County, Maryland. This letter led Booth to
meet with Dr. Samuel A. Mudd in November of 1864. Booth began putting
together an operation, purportedly with Dr. Mudd and others, to capture the
President and transport him to Richmond. By capturing Lincoln, they
expected to force the federal government to return Confederate prisoners of
war who were confined in Union prisons and then return them to fight Union
forces. After nearly five months of planning, the attempt to capture the
president took place on March 17, 1865. Mr. Lincoln, however, disappointed
the would-be captors by changing his plans. Instead of visiting a hospital
outside of Washington, President Lincoln attended a luncheon at the
National Hotel. This was the hotel Booth used as his temporary home while
in Washington, DC.

On April 14, 1865 Good Friday, in Ford’s Theater on the
presidential balcony standing a close nine feet away using a .5 caliber gun
John Wilkes Booth shot President Abraham Lincoln. The theater was
performing “Our American Cousin,”. If Lincoln had turned around, he would
have known his assailant right away, for he had seen him perform. On the
occasion of Booth performing, “Our American Cousin,” Lincoln asked to see
Booth. Though Booth being true to the south declined the offer. After
Booth shot the president, he jumped off the fifteen foot balcony while
yelling, “Sic semper tyrannis!” (the virginia state motto, “Thus ever to
tyrants!”) (Booth, John Wilkes) He caught his spur on the bunting, fell,
and broke his left leg.

After exiting Ford’s Theatre, John Wilkes Booth mounted a horse
that was being held by Joseph “Peanuts” Buroughs, an innocent theater
employee. Booth rode down the alley, turned left up another alley, turned
onto “F” Street, and headed toward the Navy Yard Bridge. Although the
bridge was guarded by Sergeant Cobb and his detail, no passes had been
required for crossing since the first of April. Thus, as the guards were
there as a matter of routine rather than of necessity, Booth and fellow
conspirator David Herold, who arrived separately, were allowed to pass
without hindrance. The two men rendezvoused later and then headed to the
Surratt Tavern in Surrattsville (now Clinton, MD) where they arrived
shortly after midnight. At the tavern, they picked up supplies (including
two Spencer carbines, ammunition, and field glasses) before continuing
south. Booth’s Diary (used as a notebook).( I think tis was important to
the cops and to the world because this is what John Wilkes Booth used as a
planner of some sort.)
At 4:00 a.m. on April 15, they arrived at the house of Dr. Samuel
Mudd. Booth received medical treatment for his injured leg and both men
were extended hospitality by the Mudds. Early in the afternoon, April 15,
Booth and Herold headed into the nearby Zekiah swamp and were guided by
Oswell Swann, a free black. About midnight, Swann brought the two men to
their next destination, the home of southern sympathizer, Colonel Samuel
Cox, who provided them with food for the next four days. On April 20,
Thomas A. Jones, Cox’s adopted son, led them to the Potomac River. Instead
of crossing the river to Virginia, they headed north on the Potomac and
landed on the Maryland side at the home of southern sympathizer Peregrin

The next night, they successfully crossed the river to Virginia,
where they stayed at the home of Mrs. Elizabeth Quesenberry, a woman who
was well connected to the Confederate spy network. Thomas Harbin, an
acquaintance of Booth and originally part of the plan to capture President
Lincoln, took them to William Bryant and then to Dr. Richard Stuart’s home.

Stuart, however, did not allow the two men to remain at his home. Booth and
Herold went to the cabin of William Lucas, another free black man, forcibly
removing Lucas and his wife from the cabin for the night. On the morning
of April 24, Booth and Herold left the cabin of William Lucas in a wagon
driven by Lucas’ son Charles. He drove the men about 10 miles to the ferry
at Port Conway, in King George County, Virginia.

As Booth and Herold were crossing the Rappahannock River, when they
were greeted by three former Confederate soldiers. 1st Lt. Mortimer B.

Ruggles, his cousin Pvt. Absalom R. Bainbridge along with Pvt. William S.

Jett. Later Herold boasted to the soldiers that they had killed President
Lincoln. Jett aided Booth and Herold by eventually finding shelter for the
pair at the Garrett farm. Herold then left Booth at the Garrett farm with
the three soldiers and headed for Bowling Green, Virginia. The men stopped
at a tavern, described by some as “…house of entertainment,” and
continued chatting and drinking for several hours. Herold spent the night
of April 23 at a nearby family farm.

The next morning two ex- Confederate soldiers brought Herold back
to the Garrett farm. Meanwhile, twenty- five members of the 16th New York
Cavalry unit, under the command of Lt. Edward Doherty, were following
Booth’s trail. Lt. Doherty had found out from a shad fisherman, Dick Wilson,
that Pvt. Jett had been on the ferry with Booth on the morning of April 24.

Doherty was also told that Jett had a girl friend in nearby Bowling Green
and Jett could be found there. Several hours after arriving at the Star
Hotel, Detective Everton Conger, one of Doherty’s men, forced Jett to
reveal Booth’s location.

In the early morning hours of April 26, 1865, the column of
soldiers entered the Garrett farm and were told by the Garrett’s about two
men sleeping in the farm’s tobacco shed. At first Booth refused to
surrender, and about 4 a.m., the tobacco shed was set afire. The blaze
allowed the soldiers to see Booth moving in the wooden building with a
pistol and a rifle. It was at this point that Boston Corbett fired his own
pistol, claiming later that it was to prevent Booth from killing more
people. Several soldiers dragged Booth, still alive, from the burning
structure. Booth had been shot in the neck by Sgt. Boston Corbett. As he
was laid on a wooden porch, he was found to be paralyzed from the neck down
and whispered his final words, “tell my mother I did it for my country…

useless, useless while looking at his hands being held up to his face.”
In reaction to Lincoln’s death a women from the south replied, “Hurrah! Old
Abe Lincoln is dead!” South Carolina girl, on hearing Lincoln’s death,
April 15, 1865.

In the end two people where killed the assassinated and the
assassinater. Lincoln the assassinated killed good friday April 15, 1865.

The assassinater John Wilkes Booth completed his so called mission, with
the help of a few people. A conspires maybe, of those on the side of evil
who believe that we should have slavery today. The KKK who are racists
might look back on the day of the death of Lincoln. So do you think this


I'm Lydia!

Would you like to get a custom essay? How about receiving a customized one?

Check it out