.. treasures on earth” He was not saying that we must not think, plan or save for the future. 2. And He was not forbidding us to have money and possess earthly things. IV. THE CRUX OF THIS TEACHING IS CAPTURED BY THE WORD “TREASURE.” A. You remember what I said earlier Treasures are simply things we value, and therefore want to have.
B. Heavenly things are so much more valuable than earthly treasure we ought to want heavenly things and labor for heavenly things and treasure heavenly things far more than earthly things. 1. I believe thats the point of what He is saying. a. He isnt saying we should plan for our future on the earth.
b. He isnt saving we shouldnt have money, use money or save money. c. This is not a statement against having a nice house or car. 2. This is about WHATS MORE VALUABLE; whats more important and what lasts longer! C.
Heavenly things are so much more valuable than earthly treasure we ought to want heavenly things and labor for heavenly things and treasure heavenly things far more than earthly things. V. NOW LOOK AT WHAT HE SAYS AGAIN .. Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” A.
If earthly treasure is your priority; if money, possessions, status and earthly treasures get most of your attention, time and energy Jesus says, youve got a big problem! 1. The treasures of the earth do not last; they are subject to things like the moth, the rust, or the covetous work of thieves who break in and steal. 2. The things of this earth have no permanence; no durability .. and we cannot take them with us.
3. Therefore it makes no sense to devote your whole heart and life to something that will soon be gone. B. The better way of life is to store up for yourselves treasures in heaven — 1. That means, invest your time and energy in something that will last.
2. Work for money and use money wisely and plan as best you can for you and your family here on the earth .. 3. But let your main concern be the heavenly treasures which are not subject to decay, and cannot be stolen! C. Thieves can break in and steal your television, your computer and your credit cards but they cannot take away your character; they cannot remove the love of Christ from your heart; they cannot take you as a hostage out of the kingdom of God! 1. The Lord is saying to us “If your treasures are limited to this earth ..
I can tell you the whole story of those things in three words moth, rust and theft!” 2. Thats the whole trouble with the things of this world we can be absolutely certain that some day we will lose them !! 3. Earthly treasure things, persons, places, positions, favor, finances, etc. never do last; they never fully satisfy. 4. These things never meet our real needs; there is always something missing.
D. Has this ever happened to you? You get something you have been craving .. and the moment you get it, there is a sense of disappointment! 1. For years, Ive wanted a pick-up truck couldnt afford one; it wasnt convenient when our kids were growing up .. then earlier this year I got my pick-up; I had a crash my plymouth .. but I got my pick-up.
a. I like it. b. Its convenient. c. But it doesnt fulfill the needs of my soul; and Im over the initial excitement.
2. I was with a preacher friend of mind this summer — he and his wife are now living in their dream house; that they designed and built, in a perfect location. a. The house they always wanted. b.
But he said to me one day we will probably only be here 15 or 20 years, before we get sick and die. 3. So many of the earthly treasures we crave and work for and get excited about are nice, but there is always something lacking, if you place those earthly things above heavenly things. E. Earthly treasures are attractive, but do not satisfy they never deliver all that we expect; and besides There is nothing as fickle and temporary as human taste.
1. We get something, and before we have had it very long our joy in it has begun to dull, and after a while we have lost all interest in it; isnt this why we have garages and attics full of stuff? 2. That which occupies our interest and attention this year may bore us next year. 3. Our earthly interests are constantly fluctuating, and this is another problem when we invest all our time and energy in this world. F. If earthly treasure is your priority; if money, possessions, status and earthly treasures get most of your attention, time and energy Jesus says, youve got a big problem! VI.
NOW THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT HIS STATEMENT IN VERSE 21: “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.” A. Lets think about this just in a general way: that which we treasure has great power over us! 1. I saw a T-shirt one time with this message: If they dont have chocolate in heaven, I aint going! 2. Perhaps that was written to over-state a point, or simply for the sake of humor. 3.
But it illustrates what the Lord is talking about that which we treasure has great power over us. a. It may be a certain kind of misbehavior that we treasure. b. It may be our career that we treasure; a hobby; a person; a place or thing.
4. That which we treasure has great power over us; it draws us like a magnet; it exercises a tremendous grip and influence over us. B. The obvious message is we should treasure spiritual realities far above any kind of treasure this world has to offer. 1. By “spiritual realities” I mean the things I mentioned earlier 2.
THINGS LIKE, forgiveness, fellowship with God, the power of prayer, the develop- ment of character and moral excellence, the love of God and brethren, the hope of heaven; honoring Christ in all you do. 3. Our lives should be governed by our affection for these things made available to us through the gospel. a. Yes we have to earn money and use money; we have to have food, shelter, transportation, health care.
b. We can have nice things and save money. 4. But our heart ought to be controlled by the heavenly treasures spiritual blessings which cannot be touched by the moth, the rust or the robber! C. If the treasures of this earth have a grip on you; if you are killing yourself to gain more and more earthly treasure there is a subtle coolness about spiritual things that slowly sets in ..
and one day you find out, youve got a lot of things; but nothing of real substance that will last after death! D. How absolutely tragic when the treasures of this earth have us in their grip; and we show where our heart is. Conclusion: 1. Listen to Jesus. Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.
For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” 2. And the question is WHERE IS YOUR HEART? If you need to repent and turn to the Lord now, we give you this opportunity. Bibliography bible.